Verse of the Day

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

When it Rains, it Pours

Did I mention that this horrible condition is hereditary? Unfortunately, having familial cavernous angiomas tends to run in Hispanic families (I am 50% Mexican). There are thought to be 3 different genes that cause the condition, and they are autosomal dominate. With a parent with multiple lesions, the offspring have a 50% chance of developing this disease. Symptoms can develop at any age, but the highest percentage of people develop symptoms in their 20's and 30's, if I remember my facts.

We waited until I was finished with radio surgery before battling with insurance to get our biological children tested. We finally got the test results just this last month. It was not good.

My eldest son got a clear test. Praise God! But even with a clear test, he will need to be scanned every year or two for the rest of his life unless he chooses to have genetic testing. Angiomas can grow at any point in life.

My youngest biological son has multiple angiomas scattered throughout the brain. None of them, however, are in an eloquent area of the brain. He will need to be followed by a neurologist and scanned with some frequency. The new was upsetting to us, but we realized it was not necessarily horrible news.

Then comes my daughter--- my sweet little girl. She just finished high school and has her entire life ahead of her. Her MRI revealed a brain stem angioma and multiple other angiomas throughout the brain. We had another crisis to face.

I have never become hysterical over anything in life. I tend go under react to bad news. But this time was indeed different. When I read the report, all I could do was to sob--- deep, wretched sobs. I tried to call my husband, but he was unavailable. My poor mother had to take my call--- just thinking about it makes me cry again. It was a moment I will not forget.

My daughter is scheduled for radio surgery on June 23, 2014.

Did I tell you you better be in the Word before crisis hits? Please take my word for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment