Verse of the Day

Friday, June 1, 2012

Addis Ababa, part 2

It was another early morning for us women... up at 4:30 a.m. A 10 hour time difference really plays havoc with your body! The great thing about getting up so early is that it is the perfect time to call Arizona. Dear husband insists that I call him everyday, just so he knows I'm alive. He sounds pretty good, this time around. I'm sure it helps having my mom and dad staying at the house. What a sweet gift their stay was for our family. (Thanks, Mom and Dad!)

By Wednesday morning, T. and I were getting to see the "real" S.: funny, loud, and crazy! He loves his blue sippy cup, his kid's camera, and the iPad. Yes, the iPad. He really enjoyed the free Lego game that T. had downloaded before the trip. It only took him about 5 minutes to figure the whole thing out. He also enjoyed listening to the Beatles and Audio Adrenaline.
S.  loves technology already!
The power is down, and remained off the entire day. Thankfully, the camera is charged and ready to go. I am also very thankful that we brought a flash light this time. I really don't like the idea of using candles with little kids around! Anyway, it was kind of a relief that the power went off, as S. just can't leave the downstairs TV remote alone. Buttons are SO exciting!

After a scrumptious breakfast, we headed to the Thomas Center for the optional physical exam by Dr. Desta. I did receive records that he had been treated for cellulitis, intestinal tapeworms, and chicken pox. Dr. Desta believes his limp is due to an adhesion of the knee cap; I pray that that is all it is. Poor baby.

Next on the agenda today is a visit with extended family--- G.'s birth mother, and B. and A.'s birth father. Abdissa from YWAM Mercy Development (Tsebay's husband) was kind enough to bring our kids' family over to the Ethio-Comfort. It was quite nice to have a quiet, more private visit. 

For some of you who have never visited with birth family before, I want to really encourage you to take  advantage of this opportunity. Not only is it a relief and healing for the birth family, but it is a truly humbling blessing for the adoptive family. It allows you to see adoption for what it is: a joy birthed through pain. When you are confronted face-to-face with the painful side of adoption, it gives you a more accurate view of the process. It also grows your compassion, allowing you to put yourself in another's shoes--- if just for a few moments. Without the love of Christ in my heart, I do not think I could appropriately process this experience. 

We visited with our Ethiopian family for a couple of hours. They enjoyed receiving photo books and other framed photos of their children; they also liked being able to ask questions about how their children are adjusting. We laughed a lot together, and did not shed tears until it was time for the visit to end. This is the third time I have met with my kids' family, and I must say that I absolutely consider them an integral part of our family. We all understand that we are in this parenting relationship together--- and that adoption can be positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment