Verse of the Day

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Difficult is Good

This week I had the incredible privilege of writing letters to my new sons' father and to my new daughter's mother. Initially, I thought it was going to be a very difficult letter to pen. What I found was just the opposite.

All I had to do was to put myself in their shoes. If I were the parent being left behind, what would be most important or most meaningful for me to hear?

To the father, I wrote about the strength and character of his sons. I wrote of their ability to grieve and to persevere. I wrote of their ability to love and to help. I described what the enjoyed doing and spoke about what they were good at. I also confirmed to this father what I had previously promised him: to raise his boys to follow in his footsteps--- to teach them to love and to follow the Lord.

To the mother, I wrote much more specific comments: how her daughter is sleeping, how she's eating, how she's coping with sadness--- things that all mothers worry about. I wrote about what her daughter's day looked like and described what she liked to do. I tried to explain how I was here to help her raise her daughter. I had to be honest that I really didn't understand why her life was so hard--- why life had been so unfair to her. But I also assured her that this world is not all there is... that the Lord will eventually make all things new and right again. I encouraged her to remember to hope.

Writing these letters helped me to better understand the oneness we have with other believers in this world. We are all plagued with problems and trials--- some of us more than others. But we are here to help and serve others when they are overwhelmed and overcome with difficulties. When we see someone who needs a hand, we are to be that hand. When we see someone who needs food, we are to feed them. When we see someone who needs clothing or shelter, we are to provide it. We can not save everyone in the world, but we are asked to save and assist those the Lord puts in our path.

Who is in your path that you could help today?


Isaiah 58:6-7 (New International Version)

6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?



No comments:

Post a Comment